Saturday, January 22, 2011

El Castillo de Santa Barbara y la playa :)

Hola :)
So  I have been in Spain for about a week and I cannot believe how quickly it has gone by! Yesterday my group hiked the Castillo de Santa Barbara. It had incredible views and was quite a tough hike. I have decided that I am going to run up it before I leave Spain :) It will be my motivation to get my lazy butt in shape. After the castillo a small group and I went to the beach ( my first time!) It was so beautiful, I cannot wait for warm weather to get here so I can stop blinding the Spaniards with my whiteness ;) After running around in the extremely cold water we decided that hot chocolate and churros were in order. We went to this cute little chocolate shop that is supposed to have the best chocolate in Alicante. We got steaming mugs of very thick, dark chocolate and 2 huge plates of churros. Needless to say that they didn't last more than 5 minutes or so. They were so DELICIOUS! And they are dangerous to my waistline due to the fact that I discovered them so quickly...
School started this week on Wednesday and I feel comfortable with all my classes. I am so glad though that all my classes before I came to Spain were in Spanish, unlike others in my group who are slightly alarmed by classes with no English.
My schedule looks like this:
Monday-Thursday: Advanced Spanish
Monday: Teaching Spanish as a Second Language
Tuesday: Spanish Cuisine
Tues/Thurs: Spanish Culture and Civilization, Spanish Contemporary Theatre
Friday: Absolutely nothing :D
Yup, thats right, no classes on Fridays! Does anyone know how long I have been trying to achieve that at NAU? It has been almost impossible for me until now :) And now my weekend trips will be so much easier to plan. And the other plus, only one class on Wednesday and 2 on Monday. Tuesday and Thursday are a little busy though... oh well. My classes all seem interesting, although I have my worries about Theatre, I have never done with classes like this and not sleeping. But since that class only has 3 people, there is no way I can get away with that haha.
On Thursday, most of the group went out dancing (due to the no school on Fridays thing) and it was super fun! Although I am not used to how Spain runs things yet. I got home at 4ish and I left early!! Many Spaniards don't leave till 1-3ish and stay out till 6 or 7 in the morning!!! So when I was leaving the club, everyone else was coming in... Being the party animal that I am, I don't think I could do that at all! The other thing is that they do this everyday of the weekend, Thurs-Sat nights. I couldn't even go out 2 nights in a row!
The reason I only managed one night? Due to a highly unwelcome cough that has been hanging out with me for the past week or so. I can't even sleep a full night due to not being able to breath or not cough.. so my next adventure is the hunt for Nyquil. But on the bright side, my host mom is so sweet. She keeps making me tea and toast to help me get better :)
Well I think I got everything covered! Miss you all so much!
 Torin


PS: For those of you wanting my snail mail addy (Mr. Cathcart)
Torin Shriver
USAC- University Studies Abroad Consortium
Edificio Torre de Control
Universidad de Alicante
03690 San Vicente del Raspeig
Alicante - Spain
And for any packages just label the things inside as personal items to make my life easier when picking them up :)
Beginning of the hike- Castillo de Santa Barbara






At the top!






Inside the castillo














The port 


The Mediterranean 


Probably the reason that my cough is even worse today...


Yup we hiked that :)






 The USAC group

2 comments:

  1. is it like real hot chocolate or mexican hot chocolate cause i dont like that stuff. Im also not a fan of churros...too much cinnamon :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha it was just melted chocolate, nothing added. And there was no cinnamon on my churros :P

    ReplyDelete